Chedworth is an attractive ancient Cotswold village with the Church, St Andrew's, dating back to Norman times. Chedworth is most famous for the remains of a Roman Villa which lie on its outskirts.
In 1864 a gamekeeper discovered the site by accident next to a rabbit warren. Fragments of mosaic, and pottery led to excavations being undertaken which revealed the foundations of a building complex dating from between the second and forth century. In its heyday in the 4th Century it was home to some of the richest people in the country.
The Roman Villa is managed by the National Trust. Visitors are able to see mosaics, bathhouses, latrines and underfloor heating.
For more details visit http://bit.ly/chedrom
Photo credit creative commons licensed (BY-ND) flickr photo by hans s: http://flickr.com/photos/archeon/4845390485
Posted by Naomi at http://www.cotswoldfamilyholidays.com/